Good tip to get the students to understand IP addresses
While you are teaching it is not evident for students to understand IP addresses, robots, and crawlers. I found a good tools that would do just that, if you are teaching wordpress, as a web development tool.
There is a plugin that I found interesting in term of getting students to understand the above; Statpress.
Once it is installed and activated on the plugins directory, you can easily access it through the dash board.
Why is interesting? Because once you have the Statpress panel opened students:
- They can understand statistics about their websites
- can see which IPs (computers), have visited their sites
- have and understanding of how crowlers search content on the web
- The overview section is graphical representation of the visitor, pages visited, feed added, and spiders (or crawlers)
- The last hits section shows you who visited your site, from where, their IP, which country, which browser and operating system they use, and the files visited.
- Last search terms; is about which search engine and which search term has led to your site
- Last pages is all about the last pages visited
- Last referrers; if you placed links to your site on other sites that will tell you exactly which referral was used
- Last spiders; simply the spiders Crawlers that visited your site.
You have loads of option with this plugin, that will teach your students quite a lot and get to understand the back end of web design as well as technology.
The spy section can give you more detailed information about the visitors themselves, where they are and what they are looking at right now.
It’s very easy to set the plugin, only install it and it will do the rest for you.