DiDa Digital Applications Unit 205 Introduction
For this unit (DiDa Digital Applications Unit 205 – Introduction), you will learn how to code a single page website. You will be assessed through an external exam:
- you will build a website to meet the requirements of a brief.
- Exam date TBC
- What you need to know about the unit (marking)
For the EXAM you will/may have to:
- Write code
- Correct code
- Test code
- Place (ready written) code
Working together over the weeks
Week 1 to 6
- HTML & CSS
- HOW WEBSITES WORK
Week 7 to 12
- HTML & CSS
Week 13 to 18
- EXAM PREP
What you will use in the class
- We will start by using the same techniques as dev web products unit
- Then more confident learners will be able to use typing, however, it is recommended to use insert tabs, or menu to avoid misspelling the tags, functions, etc…
Experimenting at home
You will find that at least an hour a day experimentation/practice will help you improve.
If you don’t have Dreamweaver, you can download:
- WebMatrix: https://www.microsoft.com/web/webmatrix/wmx3features.aspx
- Aptana Studio: http://www.aptana.com/
- Visual Studio: https://code.visualstudio.com
- NotePad ++: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/
- Open Element: http://www.openelement.com/
I won’t recommend any specific dev tools, at this stage, you will have to experiment and review the packages and choose the one you prefer. Using more than one option will in time support you with skills required in the workplace (using different development tools).
Installing some development tools at home
(Class Discussion with tutor (ACG) demonstration examples on laptop- or ask IT to install these in RED TECH)
What you should bring with you when attending classes
- Passion for achieving higher grades
- Pen and notebook
- Willingness to work in group
- And your smile (coding is fun)
ACTIVITY FOR THE REST OF THIS INTRO
INSPECTING A WEBSITE ACTIVITY
To demonstrate, what the inspection tool does, I will work on a website after watching this video, you will then inspect at least 2 websites in teams, and discuss the different elements, scripts, and the HTML divs of these sites.
Now let’s have fun with the inspection tool, just choose a site of your site and change something, once you have watched the video below:
The goal here is to get you to use this tool from now on when visiting a website to get used to code/coding.
More uses of Inspect element
Go to codeacademy.com, register and choose the free Make a Website tutorial, this will give you heads up for next lesson (more intensive).
Download at least two of the web development tools discussed in the class and experiment
RED TECH CONSULTANCY PREP.